Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ACLU Homeland Security FOIA

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:41:28 -0500

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:15:44 -0500
From: "Stanley, Jay" <jstanley () aclu org>
Subject: ACLU Homeland Security FOIA
To: dave () farber net

Dave,

After the JetBlue privacy scandal broke, the ACLU filed a Freedom of Information Act request asking for DHS materials on this case, hoping among other things to find out if the incident had any relationship to CAPPS II. We haven't received any documents.

Then, lo and behold, last week's report from DHS includes a line thanking the DHS FOIA office for their "assistance in compiling documents" about JetBlue.

Given that the documents we asked for have already been compiled, and are presumably sitting in a neat pile on someone's desk, why won't DHS release them to us? We're asking that question in a letter to DHS, and filing a new FOIA asking for the other materials gathered during the writing of the report. We lay this all out clearly at:

http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/Privacy.cfm?ID=15054&c=130.

Best,

Jay

Jay Stanley
Communications Director, Technology and Liberty Program
American Civil Liberties Union
202-715-0818
Fax 202-546-07388
www.aclu.org/privacy <http://www.aclu.org/privacy>