Interesting People mailing list archives

more on : Strung Up With Cable TV

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:28:29 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: David Rosensweig <david () dlr endjunk com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:47:24
To:rob () twp com
Cc:dave () farber net
Subject: Re: Strung Up With Cable TV

rob,

i'm an american expat who recently moved to london (and a native
washingtonian). interestingly, parts of the scenario you describe seems
to already exist in the UK, where satellite is the incumbent and cable
the underdog: lower entry point for basic cable and everything is
digital.

i subscribe to telewest, one of the two national cable companies (NTL
is the other). both of them invested ambitiously in broadband and
infrastructure and have gone through massive bankruptcies and then
debt-for-equity swaps in the past year(s). since the dust has settled,
all TV is digital and the cost of cable TV is fairly low. i pay
monthly:

£25 for 500 kbps broadband
£13.50 for basic cable + basic phone line

channels i get are:
http://www.telewest.com/html/sorter/sorter_package.htm#187

you can also subscribe to just the cable and phone line for
£13.50/month (its priced so you have to get a phone line). that's
generally equivalent to $40 for broadband and $25 for tv, in terms of
equivalent UK spending power, despite being 1.9 dollars to the pound
right now. i should point out that the telewest organization is a
complete disaster (read: nightmare) in terms of ordering, provisioning,
customer service, billing, response to repair problems, and use of the
internet to accomplish all of the above -- but this
is all typical here.

david