Interesting People mailing list archives

Three on MyDoom! from Risks Digest 23.15

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 17:43:03 -0500

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 9:41:36 PST
From: "Peter G. Neumann" <neumann () csl sri com>
Subject: E-mail activity: VaVaVoom MyDoom!

SpamAssassin is now trapping over 1100 e-mail spam messages to me and RISKS
each day.  IN ADDITION to that, the recent malware activity (MyDoom, etc.)
is awesome.  After putting out RISKS-23.14 on 27 Jan, I did not get a chance
to look at the RISKS mailbox until this morning, and there were 2528 NEW
messages, of which only about 40 were legitimate postings.  Note that I run
absolutely *no* MS software, so don't bother to blame me for any of the
bogus e-mail that seems to come from RISKS.

Subject     Messages
-------     ------
test         407
hi           296
hello        240
status       197
mail deliv.. 188
mail trans.. 185
returned ma. 161
error ...     89
server report 85
undeliver...  77
failure not.  67
... virus ..  44
and many many more with gibberish that I deleted on the basis of their
subject lines alone.

Many thanks to those of you who remember to use the helpful tag string
[noted in the last message in each issue, and which will change as soon as
the spammers start using it].  That tag really encourages me to look at your
e-mail first -- or even at all.  It also enables me to scan through the
thousands of items that SpamAssassin traps, and I think I have found only
one legitimate message that got caught in its web.  (My sincere regrets if I
accidentally deleted any of your legitimate messages.)

Incidentally, RISKS is hugely backlogged at the moment, with material for
about three issues waiting for catching up -- without even thinking about
everything that this issue will generate.

Side note: MyDoom hit SCO yesterday at midnight, as predicted, infecting PCs
beginning in New Zealand.  SCO was reportedly completely paralyzed by the
denial of service attacks, which are expected to continue through 12 Feb.