Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Interesting Problem?] Crossing Several Time Zones on New Years

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:24:08 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dave Bachmann <bachmann () us ibm com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:09:56 -0600
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Interesting Problem?] Crossing Several Time Zones on New
Years

Hi Dave,

As my family has always enjoyed interesting problems I shared this one
with them.  We each took a different approach but came up with about the
same answer.  My father's solution has the best explanation and I include
it here:

Greenwich, England with a longitude of 0 degrees is the reference for time
with each 15 degrees of longitude being equivalent to 1 hour.  New York in
the
Eastern Time zone is 5 hours slower than Greenwich, so that at 6 pm in New
York
it is 11 pm at Greenwich (solar time).  It would be midnight 15 degrees to
the east of Greenwich when it is 6 pm in New York.  In another sense New
York is
(74 + 15) 89 degrees from midnight at the start of the trip.

The difference between the longitudes of New York (74 W) and Zurich (8.5
E)
is 82.5 degrees.  With a flight time of 7.75 hours the average speed is
10.65
degrees per hour.  (This ignores the fact that the distance between degree
lines will change a little as the latitude changes.)  While the plane is
flying
east at 10.65 degrees per hour, the earth is rotating at 15 degrees per
hour, so
in effect the plane is approaching midnight at (10.65 + 15) 25.65 degrees
per
hour.  The plane will meet up with midnight in (89/25.65) 3 hours and 28
minutes or 9:28 pm New York time.

dave

David Farber <dave () farber net>
Sent by: owner-ip () v2 listbox com
12/27/2004 06:26 PM
Please respond to
dave

Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
cc

Subject
[IP] Interesting Problem?] Crossing Several Time Zones on New Years