Interesting People mailing list archives

New Horizons in spam and virii

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:32:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: hal () halstucker com
Date: August 9, 2004 5:15:43 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] New Horizons in spam and virii

(P.S. -- I've also gotten several copies of an unidentified
virus that says "new price" - the payload has the name
price.zip or price2.zip.)

I also got the price.zip file -- it contains two files, one
called price.exe and one called price.html.  Checked with the
folks at CERT and they said they've only had reports on the
virus in the last couple of days and they're examining a
sample that was sent to them.  They're still not sure what it
does but said the html file seems to be some sort of
javascript that actitvates the .exe file.  Couldln't find
anything about it doing a general Google search or a Google
search on both the F-Prot and TrendMicro sites.

If anyone has any more info on this particular bit of
mischief, I'd be interested to hear it.