Interesting People mailing list archives

Lingo - the VoIP Service from HELL

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:57:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gordon Cook <cook () cookreport com>
Date: August 4, 2004 12:28:07 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, dewayne () warpspeed com, jeff () pulver com
Subject: Lingo - the VoIP Service from HELL

for list distribution as you see fit

In the category of you get what you pay for I would advise people to steer clear of Lingo.

Motivated by positive discussion of early adaptors on Dave's IP and Dewaynes list on the weekend of July 24-25, I signed up by telephone Monday morning July 26. I received my customer confirmation account email time stamped 11:58 am.

3 to 5 business days for delivery of the adaptor. So Friday July 30 comes. Fifth business day. No adaptor. 4pm I call customer service in India of course. Just wait until Monday please. There will be enough information in the system to help you then right now we cant.

Monday Aug 2 I call up. The data base in India crashes but after 20 minutes someone says someone from the customer care team will call you back within two hours. Late Monday with no call back I called India again. Each call takes 10 to 15 minutes of waiting time. This time they said I needed their customer DELIVERY TEAM who would find info about the UPS tracking number. They said they would connect me. I got a recording instead of a human. Left a message. No response. Monday evening I emailed customer care about my frustration. Tuesday I received a response to the email. They were trying to find out and would let me know. Replied to the email and late yesterday a response saying they'd let me know real soon now.

Yesterday Tuesday I called the customer sign up line given India's poor performance. After a long wait someone came on the lineŠconfirmed that I am a customer and advised me to sign onto their web site which I could do. They promised I'd have information in just a couple of hours. When I had no information about 4pm yesterday I called back. I asked for a supervisor. Oh I am sorry my supervisor just went home But I will have him call you in the morningŠabsolutely for sure between 9 and 10 am. You can count on that guaranteed. So this morning when the promised call from the supervisor didn't happen, I called again. I had to wait 14 minutes before someone picked up. This is one the line for NEW customers mind you.

This time I got a name Farah Joseph - the order takers are in Montreal. Farah said she'd track down why I did nor receive the adaptor. Incredibly they have no way for customer to find UPS tracking numbers. And even internally they can't seem to do it. Farah said it might take until tomorrow. So once again I am at the mercy of the mythical delivery team.

Farah said that there really were no supervisors and she knew of no one with any power to do anything on my behalfŠanywhere.

A schlock outfit.   Primus should be ashamed.  Stay away from them.

-