Interesting People mailing list archives

Surveillance blimp currently up over NYC

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:46 -0400

___

Dave Farber  +1 412 726 9889

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: Reuben Halper <reuben () spacelab net>
To: dave () farber net
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:41:06 -0400
Subj: Re: [IP] Surveillance blimp currently up over NYC

A couple of questions about that surveillance blimp currently up over
NYC.  I understand it has some VERY sophisticated cameras on board
with "exceptional" resolving power.

The blimp he refers to is the Fujifilm blimp which is also used at golf
and other sporting events.  I work in sports broadcasting so I'm
familiar with their normal broadcast setup.  During a broadcast the
blimp uses an image stabilizing Canon 100x lens mounted on a gyroscopic
stabilization platform.  The magnification and resolution are quite
superb.  I'm sure the NYPD and Co. have other goodies on board, though
the blimp cabin doesn't have a whole lot of extra space for gear.

 I'd like to know who provided the camera and if it is actually legal.

Under normal broadcast circumstances the blimp is paid for by the
network or provided gratis in exchange for a plug (ie. "Aerial footage
tonight has been provided by Fujifilm, Goodyear, etc.)

 IE:  If this is domestic spying, who is authorized to do it and who
is prohibited?

Last, but not least I wouldn't think it falls under the guise of
domestic surveillance any more than crowd shots or aerial views of any
other news or sporting event.  After all it is a public gathering.

-Reuben