Interesting People mailing list archives

more on authors' reply re NYT op-ed "More Is Not Necessarily Better"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:22:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: August 27, 2004 10:11:56 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] authors' reply re NYT op-ed "More Is Not Necessarily Better"

Dave [for IP, if you want to continue this thread]--

Well, I guess we all miss nuances.

My point was substantially more than that ranking/presenting search results
by popularity is probably a good idea (in the sense that I don't have a
better one). My point was that if this isn't the best way to do it (or is
not the best way to do it for a significant minority of folks), then the
market will provide: other search engines will enter the fray with a better
algorithm that unearths those truly interesting sites we are all missing
because they are unpopular now. Note that we don't need to have only one mass market search engine; the entry barriers to providing search engines
are amazingly low.  We could well have new search engines serving niche
markets (best dating services, or Punkin Chunkin news).

Is this just economists' hype about markets? Recall that Google itself was
not on the search engine radar scope way back when.  It was Alta Vista,
Lycos, Inktomi that ruled the roost.  They all got seduced by the portal
concept and attempted to exploit their customers with paid placements (as I understand it) and useless presentation. Google came from nowhere with a
better technology and scattered the field before it.  They didn't need a
huge amount of capital or major advertising (low entry barriers). They just
had a better product, better searches, and more credibility than their
incumbent competitors. The world did indeed beat a path to their door. If Google doesn't get it right, I expect the very same thing to happen to them.

The point is that the market provides a self-correcting mechanism to solve the problems raised by the authors. We need to be personally vigilant, of
course, and entrepreneurs who might be viable competitors need to be
vigilant, but I don't see this as a social or public policy issue.  A
mechanism is in place and functioning that can solve the problems to which
the authors alert us.

Professor Gerald R. Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Dept.
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104