Interesting People mailing list archives

more on New Horizons in spam and virii ~ "new price"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:01:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Updegrove <updegrove () mail utexas edu>
Date: August 9, 2004 5:45:51 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] New Horizons in spam and virii ~ "new price"

 Dave,

McAfee identifies "new price" as W32/Bagle.AQ@MM, a mass-mailing worm, which

- contains its own SMTP engine to construct outgoing messages
 - harvests email addresses from the victim machine
 - the From: address of messages is spoofed
 - attachment is a zip file, which contains an EXE and HTML file
 - contains a remote access component (notification is sent to hacker)
- copies itself to folders that have the phrase shar in the name (such as common peer-to-peer applications; KaZaa, Bearshare, Limewire, etc)

 Useful write-up at

<http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_127423.htm>.

 Regards,
 Dan