Interesting People mailing list archives

Insanely Destructive Devices

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 07:01:25 -0400

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 04:19:47 -0700
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () dandin com>

Insanely Destructive Devices

Trying to defend against self-replicating weapons of mass destruction.

By Lawrence Lessig
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.04/view.html?pg=5>

Smallpox has killed a billion humans. That's more deaths than in all modern wars combined. Yet despite its virulence, smallpox typically kills only 30 percent of the population it infects. Naturally evolving pathogens keep enough victims around to kill again.

Engineered pathogens can be different - as recent work in Australia has terrifyingly demonstrated. By inserting a mail-order gene into mousepox, scientists increased the death rate in mice to 100 percent. Even after vaccination, the rate was 60 percent.

We don't know whether the mail-order gene would have the same effect with smallpox. But the very idea is an example of the fear that led Bill Joy to write his frightening piece "Why the Future Doesn't Need Us," published four years ago this month in Wired.

Joy worried that key technologies of the future - in particular, genetic engineering, nanotech, and robotics (or GNR) because they are self-replicating and increasingly easier to craft - would be radically more dangerous than technologies of the past. It is impossibly hard to build an atomic bomb; when you build one, you've built just one. But the equivalent evil implanted in a malevolent virus will become easier to build, and if built, could become self-replicating. This is P2P (peer-to-peer) meets WMD (weapons of mass destruction), producing IDDs (insanely destructive devices).

Many criticized Joy's claims. Cassandras, they said, have always been wrong. Social and political forces will balance technology's dangers. So four years later, were the critics right? Have we learned anything about IDDs? How have we reacted? And have our reactions made us safer?

Like many professors, I think about hard questions by teaching a class. So I asked a local genius, Silicon Valley venture capitalist and polymath Steve Jurvetson, to help frame a course around the challenges raised by Joy. He opened the class with the smallpox example and asked how a society should protect itself from innovations that lead to pox viruses with 100-percent kill rates. What strategies does it adopt when everyone, even vaccinated health care workers, are vulnerable?

The first reaction of some in the class was positively Soviet. Science must be controlled. Publications must be reviewed before being printed. Communications generally may have to be surveilled - how else can we track down the enemy? And, of course, we must build a Star Wars-like shield to protect us, and issue to every American one of those space suits that CDC workers wear. ("Dear American: You may not have health insurance, but in case of a biological attack, please use the enclosed space suit.")

But it didn't take long to see the futility of these responses. GNR science doesn't require huge labs. You might not be able to conceal the work in Manhattan, but you could easily hide it in the vast wilds of, say, Montana. Moreover, a great deal of important work would be lost if the government filtered everything - as would the essence of a free society. However comforting the Star Wars-like Virus Defense Initiative might be, engineered diseases would spread long before anyone could don a space suit.

Then one student suggested a very different approach. If we can't defend against an attack, perhaps the rational response is to reduce the incentives to attack. Rather than designing space suits, maybe we should focus on ways to eliminate the reasons to annihilate us. Rather than stirring up a hornet's nest and then hiding behind a bush, maybe the solution is to avoid the causes of rage. Crazies, of course, can't be reasoned with. But we can reduce the incentives to become a crazy. We could reduce the reasonableness - from a certain perspective - for finding ways to destroy us.

The point produced a depressing recognition. There's a logic to P2P threats that we as a society don't yet get. Like the record companies against the Internet, our first response is war. But like the record companies, that response will be either futile or self-destructive. If you can't control the supply of IDDs, then the right response is to reduce the demand for IDDs. Yet as everyone in the class understood, in the four years since Joy wrote his Wired piece, we've done precisely the opposite. Our present course of unilateral cowboyism will continue to produce generations of angry souls seeking revenge on us.

We've not yet fully understood Joy. In the future there most certainly will be IDDs. Abolishing freedom, issuing space suits, and launching wars only increases the danger that they will be used. We had better learn that soon.

 Email Lawrence Lessig at lessig () pobox com.

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>