Interesting People mailing list archives

40th Anniversary of the IBM System/360

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:20:44 -0400

Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 14:52:36 -0400
From: Claudio GutiƩrrez <cgutierrez () improvement cl>
Subject: 40th Anniversary of the IBM System/360
To: dave () farber net

[

I was on the SHARE Executive Board during tose launch days and remember talking with Bo by a pool at a SHARE meeting on whether we could develop a new language so IBM would not have to again create Comtran, Cobol and Fortran for the 360. We ended up saying we could -- and they tried. It was called PL/1. I could write a long book on why it failed to replace those legacy languages but ...

Dave

]
Computer History Museum to Mark 40th Anniversary of the IBM System/360
http://www.computerhistory.org/ibms360_04072004/

The Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California and IBM will mark the 40th anniversary of the introduction of the IBM System/360 -- a landmark system in the evolution of computing -- with a panel discussion featuring the National Medal of Technology winners who developed the system in 1964.

The event is part of the Museum's Speaker Series and is titled "The System/360 Revolution." The event will be held on the evening of April 7, 2004 at the Museum, at 1401 North Shoreline Blvd. in Mountain View, exactly 40 years after the introduction of the IBM System/360 on April 7, 1964.

In addition to its impact on the development of computer technology, the IBM System/360 is recognized for its impact on business and government over the past 40 years. For example, in the 1960s, the System/360 was the backbone of the SABRE reservation system for the burgeoning airline industry, helped facilitate space flight at NASA, and served as the backoffice foundation of many of the world's government and financial institutions.

Many consider the introduction of the IBM System/360 to be the biggest business bet of all time. At the height of IBM's success, then Chairman Thomas J. Watson, Jr. bet the company's future on the concept of computing compatibility. In 1964 dollars, IBM invested three-quarters of a billion dollars just on engineering, and another $4.5 billion on factories and equipment. It hired more than 60,000 new employees and opened five major new plants. At the time, it was believed to be the largest privately financed commercial project ever undertaken.

"We are excited to host this amazing anniversary; by hearing the historical stories from the panelists and other key S/360 developers, we can learn about how far we have come," said John Toole, executive director and CEO of the Computer History Museum. "Forty years later, many of the attributes born on the System/360 remain fundamental aspects of computing."

Among the confirmed participants for the event:

Fred Brooks, Jr. -- Project manager for System/360 from late 1961 until announcement in April 1964. He received, along with Erich Bloch and Bob Evans, the National Medal of Technology at the White House by President Reagan in 1985 for his work in developing the S/360. Brooks is currently a Kenan Professor of Computer Science at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill.

Bob O. Evans -- Then vice president of development for the IBM Data Systems Division, Evans is credited with persuading management to abandon a less ambitious product plan for one that resulted in the S/360.

Erich Bloch -- In 1962, Bloch headed development of the Solid Logic Technology program (SLT) which provided IBM with microelectronic technology for the S/360. Bloch is a past director of the National Science Foundation.

Reservations are required to attend the event. The Speaker Series is free, with a suggested donation of $10 for non-members. The lecture starts promptly at 7:00 p.m. A reception will be held at 6:00 p.m. for invited guests and Computer History Museum members. For more information, please visit www.computerhistory.org/events/lectures.