Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Novelist McEwan barred from US

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 11:02:44 -0400

Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 07:28:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ole Jacobsen <ole () cisco com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Novelist McEwan barred from US
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Interesting that the Guardian did not get the crucial detail: McEwan was
being PAID and therefore needed a visa:

 SEATTLE (Reuters) - The case of the renowned British author Ian McEwan,
who was denied U.S. entry for 36 hours this week for lack of a work visa,
was handled properly, Homeland Security officials say, deflecting
complaints about murky immigration rules.

McEwan, whose latest novel "Atonement" was nominated for Britain's Book of
the Year award, was stopped in Vancouver, British Columbia on Tuesday
morning as he prepared to enter the United States for a series of paid
lectures and a hiking trip.

"I consider this a win-win situation," James Michie, a spokesman for the
U.S. Department of Homeland Security, said on Friday. "He was apparently
unaware of the need for a visa, but he was able to get one and complete
his trip."

The U.S. allows citizens of 29 nations, including Britain, to visit as
tourists without a visa. Journalists and others on business trips
typically need special visas.

McEwan was receiving honorariums of $5,000 (2,700 pounds) per speech and
attendees had paid as much as $100 each for tickets to hear him on his
current speaking tour along the U.S. west coast.

"It doesn't matter how much he was getting paid. A visa is required. That
is the law and there is no way to get around that, not that I'm suggesting
he was trying to get around it," Michie said.

<snip>

Full story at:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040402/325/eq7hk.html

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Academic Research and Technology Initiatives, Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole () cisco com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj