Interesting People mailing list archives

Developing Cognitive Systems and DARPA

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 16:06:56 -0500

Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 14:09:30 -0500
From: PAUL JULIEN <p.julien () worldnet att net>
Subject: Developing Cognitive Systems and DARPA
To: dave () farber net

Dave:

What DARPA is up to these days.

In the original document, the phrase "that truly
know what they're doing" is italicized.

Paul Julien

*

         Monday   Place:  Sarnoff Corporation, Lounge
          May 3, 2004    201 Washington Road
       2:00-3:00 PM    Princeton, NJ

Princeton/Central Jersey Chapter, IEEE Signal Processing Society
Presents

Developing Cognitive Systems

Dr. Ron Brachman, Director
Information Processing Technology Office (IPTO)
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)

Abstract
In 2002 DARPA re-energized its Information Processing Technology Office
(IPTO), and rededicated its attention to modern Computer Science by looking
both to its roots and to a dramatic vision of the future.  When the original
IPTO was created in 1962, its director, J.C.R. Licklider, focused the office
on his novel vision of computers and humans working closely together in a
form of symbiosis.  Forty years later, the new IPTO wants to realize this
vision by giving computing systems unprecedented abilities to reason, to
learn, to explain, to accept advice, and to reflect, in order to finally
create systems able to cope robustly with unforeseen circumstances.  IPTO's
goal is to create a new generation of cognitive systems.

Our new office agenda combines work in a number of disciplines, looking to
build integrated intelligent systems that improve their performance over
time in many different ways.  We also seek to improve our understanding of
how to evaluate progress in this multidisciplinary area, and to determine
and resolve the most important technical risks to the long-term vision.  I
will outline our overall vision of cognitive systems as systems that truly
know what they're doing, and show how our current and emerging funding
programs fit into the overall vision.  I will also present briefly some of
our newer programs and potential upcoming opportunities for the research
community to work with our office to help us realize our ambitious goals.

               Biography of Speaker
Ron Brachman is the Director of the Information Processing Technology Office
at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).  Prior to joining
DARPA, Dr. Brachman was a Research Vice President at AT&T Labs and
previously, at Bell Labs.  His laboratory performed research in IP
communications services and supporting technologies, including secure
systems, human-computer interaction, and artificial intelligence.  Prior to
joining Bell Labs in 1985, Dr. Brachman was instrumental in the design and
implementation of several well-known knowledge representation systems and
his work formed the basis for an entire subfield of research in AI
(Description Logics).  He received the B.S.E.E. degree from Princeton
University (1971), and S.M. and Ph.D. degrees in Applied Mathematics from
Harvard University (1972, 1977).

 Dr. Brachman is currently President of the American Association for
Artificial Intelligence (AAAI).  He has been Program Chair of the National
Conference on Artificial Intelligence, is the co-editor of several books,
and with Hector Levesque and Ray Reiter in 1989 founded a series of
International Conferences on Principles of Knowledge Representation and
Reasoning, which continue to this day.  He served as Secretary-Treasurer for
the International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence from 1993 to
2002.  He has published numerous technical papers, has won a Best Paper
award, and is about to finish a textbook on knowledge representation and
reasoning.  He is a Founding Fellow of AAAI, and was inducted as a Fellow of
the Association for Computing Machinery in 1999.

For more information contact: Dr. Hui Cheng, hcheng () sarnoff com,
(609)-734-2492.