Interesting People mailing list archives

more on connecting The Dots with Google's New Gmail service

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 09:18:09 -0500

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:49:54 -0500
From: Seth Finkelstein <sethf () sethf com>
Subject: Re: [IP] connecting The Dots with Google's New Gmail service
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, ip () v2 listbox com

> ...Google records the numerical Internet addresses of the computers that
> request each of the Web searches the company performs. But it hasn't had
> names or other identifying information to link those addresses to specific
> people and learn who, for example, is searching for "Janet Jackson halftime
> show."

        Not on a mass scale, no. But ... Orkut.

http://www.orkut.com/privacy.html
Orkut's privacy policy

"We may share both personally identifiable information about you and
aggregate usage information that we collect with Google Inc.  and
agents of orkut in accordance to the terms and conditions of this
Privacy Policy."

        Google will now have the equivalent of a "mail cover"
(tracking who is sending email to whom - and about what!), *plus*
"friends" social data, plus web searching data ...

        And they're going to scan all your mail for keywords, in order
to better fight terrorism, I mean, serve ads ...

        Forget about "Total Information Awareness". It would be
cheaper for the Federal government to just buy into Google.

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf () sethf com  http://sethf.com
Interview: http://grep.law.harvard.edu/article.pl?sid=03/12/16/0526234