Interesting People mailing list archives

East Washington teen's sketches attract Secret Service scrutiny

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:16:23 -0400

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:04:23 -0700
From: warren () amole com

This message was sent to you by warren () amole com,
as a service of The Seattle Times (http://www.seattletimes.com).

Comments from sender: The Art Police.......

East Washington teen's sketches attract Secret Service scrutiny
Full story: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001913678_prosser27m.html

By The Associated Press

PROSSER, Benton County &#151; Secret Service agents questioned a high-school student here about anti-war drawings he turned in to his art teacher.

One of them depicted President Bush's head on a stick.

Another pencil-and-ink drawing depicted Bush as a devil launching a missile, with a caption reading "End the war &#151; on terrorism."

The 15-year-old boy's art teacher turned the drawings over to school administrators, who notified a police officer assigned to work with the school.

"We involve the police anytime we have a concern," Prosser Superintendent Ray Tolcacher told the Tri-City Herald.

"From our perspective, it was an incident that needed to be reported to the police on campus."

Secret Service agents interviewed the boy Friday. The student, who was not arrested, has not been identified.

The school district disciplined him, but district officials declined to say what the punishment was. Tolcacher said the boy was not suspended. Tolcacher insisted it was not a freedom-of-speech issue but a concern over the depiction of violence.

"From what I saw, (school officials) were right to be concerned," Prosser Police Chief Win Taylor said.

The artwork was apparently part of an assignment to keep a notebook of drawings, according to Kevin Cravens of Richland, who said he was a family friend of the boy who was investigated.

The drawing that drew the most attention showed a man in what appeared to be Middle Eastern-style clothing, holding a rifle. He also was holding a stick with the oversize head of President Bush on it. The student said the head was enlarged because it was intended to be an effigy, Cravens said. The caption called for an end to the war in Iraq.

The boy's mother declined to talk with The Seattle Times last night. The Secret Service did not return the Herald's calls for comment, and a message left by The Associated Press with an after-hours duty officer in Washington, D.C., was not immediately returned yesterday.

"If this 15-year-old kid in Prosser is perceived as a threat to the president, then we are living in '1984.' " Cravens said.

Seattle Times staff reporter Nguyen Huy Vu contributed to this report.

========================== ADVERTISEMENT =============================

If you can do it, watch it, eat it, buy it, or live it
in the Pacific Northwest, you'll find it at NWsource.com

Call (206) 464-2121 or 1-800-542-0820, or go to
https://read.nwsource.com/subscribe/times/

HOW TO ADVERTISE WITH THE SEATTLE TIMES COMPANY ONLINE
For information on advertising in this e-mail newsletter,
or other online marketing platforms with The Seattle Times Company,
call (206) 464-2361 or e-mail websales () seattletimes com

TO ADVERTISE IN THE SEATTLE TIMES PRINT EDITION
Please go to http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/contactus/adsales
for information.

For news updates throughout the day, visit http://www.seattletimes.com