Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Amazon patents cookies

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:24:42 -0500

From: James Seng <jseng () pobox org sg>

one word: asn.1

and

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 04:33:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Seth Grimes <grimes () altaplana com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Amazon patents cookies
To: johnl () taugh com, Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

"I never heard of anyone doing schema-based data flattening into
cookies so this probably does meet the novelty and non-obviousness
requirements for a valid patent."

I worked for a now-defunct leading-edge Web development firm 1996-7.  I
and other programmers did this with Web-browser cookies only we called it
"pickling" because our shop was heavily into Python and that's the Python
term.  Here's how the Python Library Reference describes the function:

'"Pickling" is the process whereby a Python object hierarchy is converted
into a byte stream, and "unpickling" is the inverse operation, whereby a
byte stream is converted back into an object hierarchy. Pickling (and
unpickling) is alternatively known as "serialization," "marshalling," or
"flattening," however, to avoid confusion, the terms used here are
"pickling" and "unpickling."'

It didn't take any great intellectual leap to apply this technique to
cookies and we did.

                                                Seth

--
Seth Grimes   Alta Plana Corp, analytical computing & data management
              Intelligent Enterprise magazine (CMP), Contributing Editor