Interesting People mailing list archives

FCC Policy-maker Lays Out VOIP Problem

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 06:00:01 -0500

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:38:15 -0800
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This comment comes from reader Robert Pepper.  DLH]

From: "Robert Pepper" <Robert.Pepper () fcc gov>
Date: April 1, 2004 6:25:02 PM PST
To: <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: RE: [Dewayne-Net] FCC Policy-maker Lays Out VOIP Problem

It's too bad that the reporter missed my point which was that mobile wireless service was undermining the traditional long distance business. I did not say that that undermined universal service--in fact, anyone who looks closely at their cellphone bill will see an item for federal universal service support. What I did say, however, was that while the goal of affordable universal service will not change, the ways in which it supported will need to change in the future. That is why the FCC already has several proceedings underway (preceding recent VoIP developments) to reform the process.