Interesting People mailing list archives

More Companies Are Routing Calls via Internet

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 08:13:41 -0400

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:24:33 -0700
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

September 1, 2003

More Companies Are Routing Calls via Internet
By ADAM BAUMAN
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/01/technology/01VOIP.html>

It was after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, that Tom Pyke, the chief information officer for the Department of Commerce, realized that he needed to expand the agency's emergency communications. Just over a year later, in December 2002, after a competitive selection process, a new telephone system was installed to support 4,000 people at agency headquarters in Washington and another 6,000 at the department's nearby Bureau of the Census.

Instead of selecting conventional phones, the Commerce Department chose a setup made by Cisco Systems that uses Internet Protocol, or I.P., technology. The system routes internal voice communications over the same lines as e-mail messages and other data traffic. It also has a function that allows an emergency message to be broadcast to all phones.

The department is saving many of the fees tied to conventional phone service between employees, and it is saving maintenance and support costs on the 132 older telephone systems that the new Internet-based system has replaced. "Over 25 percent of our 40,000 employees are now using this technology," Mr. Pyke said.

Internet telephony, as it is known, is no longer restricted to adventurous techies. The technology, based on software technology that enables the Internet to route traffic, has matured to the point that voice quality is virtually indistinguishable from that of a conventional phone call.

The systems are flexible, enabling calls to be routed through a company's internal data network, the public Internet or both. Besides major agencies like the Commerce Department, Internet telephony is being adopted by businesses, including JetBlue Airways and the bank holding company SouthTrust , based in Birmingham, Ala.

About 2 percent of United States businesses were using some form of Internet telephony by the end of last year, according to the market research firm In-Stat/MDR. The firm cites the cost savings as a primary motivation for using the systems and predicts that one in five companies will be doing so by 2007.

Industry analysts say that the equipment costs of an Internet telephone system are lower than the those of a comparable-size conventional system that uses an on-site switch known as a PBX and the handsets that work with it. A company with 100 employees, for example, would spend about $600 a phone to buy a conventional PBX system, but $500 a phone for an Internet setup, said Nick Lippis, the president of Lippis Enterprises, a network computing consulting firm in Hingham, Mass.

A spokesman for Cisco Systems, Jim Brady, said that in 2002, Cisco's I.P. phones displaced approximately 2,000 traditional PBX circuit-based phones each business day; a year later, in 2003, that figure has more than doubled.

Charles Giancarlo, general manager of product development for Cisco, said his company was now replacing more than 5,000 traditional phones a day with I.P. phones. "The unalterable direction now is I.P. telephony," Mr. Giancarlo said, "and it is just a matter of time before I.P. telephony extends itself to the consumer market as well." Cisco makes Internet telephone switches and phones, among other products, and says it has more than 10,000 Internet telephony customers.

SouthTrust, which has nearly 700 bank branches in the Southeast, has almost completely replaced its PBX systems with Internet telephony, all controlled from a switch in Birmingham that was made by Cisco Systems. Stan Adams, the group vice president of network services at SouthTrust, said the company was saving more than $5 million a year using the system, which it began phasing in three years ago.

SouthTrust saves money because it no longer needs on-site support at each bank branch, with such tasks now able to be performed from the central switch in Birmingham, said Don Proctor, the general manager of Cisco's voice technology group. This capability was not possible with traditional phone systems, he said.

Even though the traditional phone companies have billions of dollars invested in their older technology, they are likely to move toward offering some form of Internet services. But they will probably be collecting significant revenues from their local and long-distance services for some time to come. For one, a company must make a considerable investment to switch to Internet telephony. And calls to parties outside the company often must still use the conventional public network for at least part of the call.

But Mr. Lippis said that because in many businesses about 30 percent of voice traffic is between employees in various branch offices, using an Internet system for all employees can shave 30 percent off the company's phone bill.

One company that has seen cost savings from an Internet-based system is JetBlue Airways, the upstart discount airline. It uses Internet technology to create a "virtual call center" for its 700-plus reservation agents, who work from home in and around Salt Lake City, using computers and equipment provided by JetBlue.

The commute to work is as quick as a mouse click for the reservation agents, who use application software known as Avaya Softphone. The software connects them to the airline's Internet telephony switch, which routes customer reservations calls to them.

Frankie Littleford, JetBlue's vice president for reservations, said the airline was saving money by not needing to maintain office space for its call agents. "We will handle 9.6 million phone calls in 2003," Ms. Littleford said, "and all of those will be routed to at-home representatives."

Besides Cisco and Avaya (a Lucent Technologies spinoff) companies that produce Internet telephony gear include Alcatel , Mitel, Nortel, Siemens and 3Com . Cisco predicts that the market for such systems will reach $15 billion within four years. Jorge Blanco, the vice president for product marketing at Avaya, also sees a growing market. "I think that 2003 is turning out to be a giant leap forward for I.P. telephony," he said.

As the adoption of Internet telephony by mainstream businesses continues to speed up, at least one influential communications industry group is embracing the technology. The Telecommunications Industry Association, which is based in Arlington, Va., and represents communications equipment makers, has replaced its own 10-year-old PBX with a new Internet system.

"These new phones and features, I think, will revolutionize the way any business operates," predicted Matthew Flanigan, the association's president. "I think it gives the ability for all of the workers to be much more efficient and accomplish a lot more at your desk, and I think that is crucial for the economy."

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>