Interesting People mailing list archives

more on TM Madness: Owner of Dewey Decimal System Sues Library-Themed Hotel!

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:38:24 -0400

Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:02:18 -0400
From: "Eric C. Grimm" <eric.grimm () CyberBrief net>
Subject: RE: [IP] TM Madness: Owner of Dewey Decimal System Sues Library-Themed
 Hotel!
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: jrdreitler () JonesDay com

It is worth noting that the lawyer representing the Dewey Decimal TM
plaintiff, (AP says it is Joe Dreitler, of Jones, Day's Columbus office) had
a novel opinion (which was published to the INTA "TMTOPICS" list, so it is
fair game here), about the recent Fox v. Franklin controversy:

http://www.biglist.com/lists/lists.inta.org/tmtopics/archives/0308/msg00042.
html

http://www.biglist.com/lists/lists.inta.org/tmtopics/archives/0308/msg00074.
html

To quote: "Sometimes inside (and outside lawyers) have to have the guts to
say to
business clients, 'no, there is not a case there and we aren't going to
sign our names to a frivolous complaint and embarrass this company - and
ourselves.'"

Guts aside, I know Joe and think he's really a nice fellow, and quite smart,
so I don't want this to be taken as too harsh a criticism of him personally.
I'll leave it up to Mr. Dreitler (by courtesy copy) to decide whether he
wants to share any of our off-list follow-up correspondence (concerning Fox
v. Franklin) with "Interesting People."

Incidentally, Joe is also the guy who represented the somewhat
overly-aggressive TM point of view in the "Beat Michigan" case, in which a
Columbus, Ohio father and son were selling "unlicensed" clothing to Ohio
State fans, urging the defeat of my favorite college football team.  Even as
a fan of Michigan (whose defeat the so-called "unlicensed" vendor urged), I
think NCAA Licensing and Dreitler went a little far.

And when I read AP's report about this latest controversy, my first thought
was, "There they go again!"  But maybe the TM plaintiff's lawyers can
explain why this really isn't another Fox v. Franklin or "Beat Michigan"
case -- that understandably leaves the public (and most lawyers) scratching
their heads and wondering whether TM law has gone too far . . .

Feel free to share with the IP list.

Eric C. Grimm
Attorney at Law
320 South Main Street