Interesting People mailing list archives

This is even worse

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:50:18 -0400

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:29:58 -0400
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
To: dave () farber net

Dave,

A quick note: that IAB document is from January and was not prepared in response to Verisign's latest move.

[ my error but that even makes it worse. In spite of this caution (put mildly) VERISIGN went ahead with the plan. THAT IS WORSE djf]

BTW as we reported at News.com, ICANN has refused to comment so far, but has said they may have a statement in the next day or so:
http://news.com.com/2100-1032-5077530.html

The Department of Commerce is referring calls to ICANN and Verisign. Meanwhile it announced today it's extended the government's contract with Verisign for three more years:
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-17sep03.htm

GREAT TIMINMG. Maybe DOC needs some new people. djf

-Declan