Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Towards Theocracy

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 17:02:24 -0400

From: "Perryman, Josh" <JPerryman () covenant com>

Dave for IP, anonymity preferred.
While the quotes sent previously are interesting, I'm not entirely sure how they are relevant to the discussion. I find the following more relevant: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." - Amendment 1, The Constitution of the United States of America "We, the people of the State of Alabama, in order to establish justice, insure domestic tranquillity, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God, do ordain and establish the following Constitution and form of government for the State of Alabama:"
                - Preamble, The Constitution of Alabama
"That no religion shall be established by law; that no preference shall be given by law to any religious sect, society, denomination, or mode of worship; that no one shall be compelled by law to attend any place of worship; nor to pay any tithes, taxes, or other rate for building or repairing any place of worship, or for maintaining any minister or ministry; that no religious test shall be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under this state; and that the civil rights, privileges, and capacities of any citizen shall not be in any manner affected by his religious principles."
                - Section 3, The Constitution of Alabama
I'm not a legal scholar in any sense, but I find the dearth of citations to the actual pertinent material disturbing. Unfortunately, everyone has made up their mind on this issue and seeks only rationalization for their position. I'd be curious to know what other legal documents, especially court decisions are applicable. I'll admit I haven't taken the time to research the actual opinions for the recent cases, though I hope to do so soon.