Interesting People mailing list archives

Me & EFF on Salon about file-sharing rhetoric

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:21:00 -0400

Note that a subscription is required to read the articles BUT a free day pass is available easily.

Dave

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:18:21 -0400
From: Scott Matthews <scott () turnstyle com>
Subject: Me & EFF on Salon about file-sharing rhetoric
To: dave () farber net

Hi Dave,

I thought your readers might be interested in this pair of articles on
Salon: a critique I wrote about file-sharing rhetoric, along with a response
prepared by the EFF.

My critique of the file-sharing debates:
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/09/12/file_sharing_one/

The EFF's response:
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/09/12/file_sharing_two/

I typically sympathize with civil liberties groups like the EFF, but they
avoid addressing privacy and free speech concerns raised by the new
copyright systems that they're advocating.  The incessant representation of
the file-sharing debates as a struggle between an evil oligopoly and the
bold freedom fighters resisting it hides complicated truths.

speak soon,
Scott Matthews
http://www.turnstyle.com/andromeda