Interesting People mailing list archives

more on As It Tries to Cut Costs, Wall Street Looks to India

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 02:26:29 -0400

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:40:26 -0700
From: Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org>
Subject: RE: As It Tries to Cut Costs, Wall Street Looks to India
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

Dave,

 While I share some of Bob's concerns (it certainly doesn't thrill me to see
systems administration jobs being shipped to India), I have to say that it
is ironic of Bob, who has benefited by the choice of a Finnish company to
"outsource" various chunks of its operations overseas, to criticize American
companies for finding inexpensive but high quality talent in India.

 Does anyone really think that the Ivy League graduate whose potential job
is taken by the $35,000 year Indian research analyst is going to suffer
tremendously? The likely outcome of a significant number of new hires in
India is wage inflation there... eventually, what we're going to get is wage
equalization on a global scale - as we have to some extent today across
Japan, North America, and Europe. It may not be all happy days for American
workers in these sectors, but they're certainly not going to be reduced to
penury. Unlike manufacturing workers paid 35 cents an hour, these folks in
India have a heck of a lot of other options if they feel abused - including
migrating to the U.S. or Europe, or setting up shop on their own - and the
employers can't just up ship and relocate shop to a lower wage area when
people start demanding wage increases (as is happening in Mexico, where
workers paid $1.26/hour are being out competed by Chinese labor paid a
quarter of that or less) - India is pretty unique in that it has the
educational infrastructure and the widespread knowledge of the English
language necessary to make this happen at all.

 We managed to absorb the entry into the labor marketplace of half the
nation's populace (women) over the last fifty years without catastrophe for
the incumbent labor force, I'm confident we'll be able to do this with India
as well. And, ultimately, what we'll have is a that many more people capable
of buying American products because they're being paid first world wages. I
should also point out that people should get some perspective here - the
fact that these folks are being paid $35,000 a year, already, says a lot
about the likely ultimate outcome - while Ivy Leaguers may shudder at the
prospect of working for $35k, a hell of a lot of Americans would be quite
happen to be paid anything close to that. The companies in question have
already implicitly realized that in a global marketplace, they've got to pay
people a decent wage, or risk losing them to the competition.

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt