Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Update on Shift Key Breking CD Copy Protection Technology WORTHWHILE READING DJF

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:21:02 -0400

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 19:44:16 -0400
From: Barry Ritholtz <ritholtz () optonline net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Update on Shift Key Breking CD Copy Protection
 Technology
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: jstyre () jstyre com

Hi Dave,

Subsequently, SunnComm's stock price has dropped precipitously, and
today, SunnComm announced that it will pursue legal action against
Halderman

I knew nothing about SunnComm or its stock, until your e-mail. That
motivated me to pull up a chart of the company's stock performance.
You may not be aware of some of the specifics of SunnComm (self
described as an OTC stock), prior to the Princeton grad student's paper.

This is what's known as a "penny" stock --  it's on the pink sheets,
which has about as lax reporting requirements as is possible. Indeed,
even their own Website has a "we're on the pink sheets" disclaimer:
<http://www.sunncomm.com/disclaimer.asp>

For nearly all of the prior 3 years, SunnComm traded under 1/4; In
fact, it was under a dime for most of that period.   (See chart shere:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=STEH.PK&t=2y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=   or here:

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickchart/ quickchart.asp?symb=steh&sid=0&o_symb=steh&freq=2&time=10&x=50&y=16
(When looking at the 3 year chart, ignore the temporary spikes from a
dime up straight to 90 cents and back. These sort of blips typically
reflect trading errors, i.e. 90 cents instead of 9 cents ).

Starting in May 2003, the stock zoomed from 10 cents up to 40 cents.
The subsequent "precipitous" drop was nothing more than the stock
dropping back to its prior trading range -- back under a dime.

What's so curious about this move in May 2003 is that it occurred in
the middle of a long news blackout. That aroused my curiosity, and
makes, in my opinion, the activity in this pink sheet stock suspect. So
I went back and looked at all the news releases this year. Because
there appears that there were no offical news released between April
4th 2003 ("Tattoo Media joins forces with SunnComm Technologies") and
June 2, 2003.  (Macrovision, SunnComm Race To Protect Music From
Pirates; <http://www.sunncomm.com/news/listnews.asp>) that could
explain the stock's thrust upwards.

I noticed that sometime in August, the company announced a 2 Million
Share buyback
<http://www.eedesign.com/pressreleases/bizwire/91975>.  Why a microcap
pink sheet company feels the need to buy back stock, I couldn't tell
you.

But if I was advising the Princeton student, I would suggest the first
thing he do is have his lawyer find out if any insiders, officers,
board members, or major shareholders did any buying during that period.

If any purchases were made in anticipation of material non public
information, than who ever did so has much bigger problems than some
grad student's paper . . .

Regards,

Barry L. Ritholtz
Chief Market Strategist