Interesting People mailing list archives

Ironic comment on Lauren's Tripoli proposal

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 16:04:52 -0400

Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 12:29:15 -0700
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>
Subject: Ironic comment on Lauren's Tripoli proposal
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

I wrote a long comment on Lauren's Tripoli proposal to authenticate
E-mail that you posted on your list yesterday.

I of course sent it to him.  What do I get back...

    Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
    <lauren () vortex com>: host mail.vortex.com[67.119.61.36] said: 550 5.7.1
        <lauren () vortex com>... Mail rejected -- reverse DNS for 198.144.201.82
        failed -- see http://www.vortex.com/mailblock#S51 (in reply to RCPT TO
        command)

Lauren is already demanding I identify myself to the world before
mailing him, and it means he's not getting my mail.  He's very lucky I
even saw this bounce -- I get so many bounces from virus programs that
forge mail in my name that I sometimes skip them -- and since I know
what reverse DNS is, I didn't read the URL indicated which is in effect
a very poorly implemented challenge response since it lets you send in
a request to be manually unblocked on a web form.

I mailed him from another server -- lucky I have one  -- and his attempt
to unblock me failed.

I send this to you Dave, as an example of how nasty these anti-spam
collateral damages can get, when he is rejecting mail that comments on his
mail proposals from somebody he's known for 20 years unless I tell the
whole world the mapping from my IP to my name, not just him.