Interesting People mailing list archives

VeriSign announces sale of Network Solutions

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:54:51 -0400

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:48:26 -0700
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: VeriSign announces sale of Network Solutions
To: dave () farber net

Dave,

VeriSign has announced the sale of Network Solutions "to a new entity formed
by Pivotal Private Equity."  Note that as far as I know, this affects the
competitive "registrar" side, not the monopoly "registry" side, so VeriSign
would continue to control the .com and .net roots.  Great non-substantive
spam-like subject line on their message too:

    Subject: Announcement

I'd send you the complete message for IP, but they copyrighted it.
More on VeriSign upcoming.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy