Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Bicyclist Harassment

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 17:46:05 -0500

Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 12:29:35 -0800
From: Anthony Watson <atrigueiro () yahoo com>
Subject: Bicyclist Harassment
To: lisacdollinger () clearchannel com
Cc: dave () farber net, leep () benetechinc com

Dear Clear Channel:

I have been a bicycle commuter for most of my adult life. Allegedly i am a vehicle and allowed a complete lane in traffic, however in practice this is not wise. Instead I am forced into the gutter because few motorists know the law and if they do, they do not respect it. Even when I try to avoid traffic by riding in the gutter, I am still harassed by insults, debris even human saliva spewed from passing vehicles. More than once I have been grateful that I was not carrying a loaded weapon, because my emotions can boil over and my adherence to pacifism lost in the anger caused by being pelted be garbage or yelled at. Any bicyclist will tell you that this is a horrible problem. Not only do these DJs deserve to lose their jobs, I feel that they need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, even if that only be "malicious mischief".

Thank you,

Anthony Watson
Dollars and Sense Professional Services
(714) 307-2526
www.dollarsandsense.com

From http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=9&u=/ap/20031101/ap_on_en_ot/radio_stations_bicyclists

Bicyclists Accuse DJs of Inciting Attacks
"Bicyclists are demanding that the nation's largest radio group be punished because disc jockeys at three stations made on-air comments they say encouraged drivers to throw bottles at bike riders or hit them with open car doors.

"They say the morning show hosts at Clear Channel Communications stations in Cleveland, Houston and Raleigh, N.C., also suggested motorists blast horns at cyclists, and speed past them and slam on their brakes in front of them."