Interesting People mailing list archives

2 more on US antispam bill is not death to anonymity

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:14:11 -0500

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:16:14 -0500
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on No, US antispam bill is not death to anonymity
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 09:37:59PM -0500, Dave Farber wrote:
> I am at a total loss to see how one enforces this in a world wide Internet.

Bingo.

> Seems to me that it forces the off shore of the spam industry.  and does
> little to eliminate spam. Australia says 75% of their spam comes from
> China. How would this law help us again?

It has another effect that its authors either didn't intend or didn't
think about -- or something.

One of the things that spammers do is build and buy/sell/trade lists of
addresses.  Obviously, known-working addresses have more value in that
market than unconfirmed ones: that's one of the reasons why web bugs and
other techniques are used by spammers to attempt to confirm receipt.

Now picture an "opt-out database" which accumulates mail addresses just
as fast (or faster) than the do-not-call database.  This bill authorizes
the FTC to build just such a database.

It's the spammers' holy grail: it's lots of known-working addresses,
assembled for them via someone else's labor (paid for with your and my
tax dollars, of course) and available for free.

I can only hope the FTC isn't stupid enough to go through with this.

This bill is one of the most damaging, anti-consumer pieces of legislation
that they could possibly have passed -- no surprise that it was bought
and paid for by the spammers at the DMA and their shills (e.g. Tauzin).

---Rsk

and