Interesting People mailing list archives

W3C approves patent policy for royalty-free standards

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 09:38:47 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Daniel Weitzner <djweitzner () w3 org>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 15:36:11 +0200
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: for IP: W3C approves patent policy for royalty-free standards

Hi Dave,

The World Wide Web Consortium has approved the W3C Patent Policy.[1]
With this we're the first standards body that I'm aware of that has
committed to development standards that can be implemented on a
royalty-free basis. The policy received more support from the Membership
than any Recommendation in recent history. More than a few IPers also
helped out significantly along the way. For more information read the
Director's decision[2] explaining the importance of the policy and
reason for adopting it.

Best,

Danny

[1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20030520.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2003/05/12-director-patent-decision-public.html
--
Daniel J. Weitzner                              +1.617.253.8036 (MIT)
World Wide Web Consortium                       +1.202.364.4750 (DC)

------ End of Forwarded Message