Interesting People mailing list archives

POSSIBLE (likely) fraudalent PayPal scam - net community awareness warranted

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 18:20:44 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: paul foldes <pfoldes () interhelp com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 17:58:20 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: fraudalent PayPal scam - net community awareness warranted

Dave,

this is the second putative PayPal notification I have received today.

It is a scam. Paypal/ebay has not responded to my attempt to contact them to
alert them.

Both spam/scam emails were directed to email addresses that were either: 1)
scrubbed off the web, or 2) purchased or 3) stolen from network solutions
domain registration database ... as neither of these address were my
legitimate paypal addresses....and one of the addresses was provided by me
only to network solutions as way to trace whether they sold my domain reg
info

this is a scam, as it request via reply unencrypted email bank account info

I tried to notify ebay/paypal by sending warning to their postmaster....but
having not received any response for over 5 hours, thought it might be best
if the warning went out over your maillist, as it is read by knowledgeable
people

best,
paul foldes
voice 703 370 0009 if you want to voice verify

NOTE: my personally identifiable legitimate info has been xxx out below
routing info of the incoming email intact otherwise