Interesting People mailing list archives

Alternative View Of Why Iraq, Why Now? And comment by faulhaber

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:29:06 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Faulhaber, Gerald" <faulhabe () wharton upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 08:20:16 -0500
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: Alternative View Of Why Iraq, Why Now?

This is absolutely bizarre.  The US vs. EU?  The US is clearly the stronger
economy and will be so for the foreseeable future.  The EU is an important
and significant market, but this idea of a "battle" is pretty ridiculous.

The US "had a monopoly on oil trade"?  What is he talking about?  It appears
he means that oil trade is denominated in dollars, not euros or yen, and he
seems to think this is important.  It's not; nobody cares about how oil
trade is denominated, not in a world of complete and efficient FX (foreign
exchange) markets.

There's no doubt this is a very weird war, in which we (US citizens) are
still waiting for a coherent explanation of what's going on from our
government.  I suppose this kind of total nonsense is what rushes in to fill
the information gap the Bushies have left us with.

Professor Gerald Faulhaber <http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~faulhabe>
Business and Public Policy Department
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104