Interesting People mailing list archives

My encounter with new cell phones

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:52:44 -0500

For quite a while, my standard equipment has been a Blackberry, via
Earthlink, and a V60 cell phone utilizing Verizon-wireless. Recently I
underwent two changes. I would like to describe what they were and why they
were.

First the limitations of the Blackberry such as display clarity and limited
web functionality caused me to look at and buy the Sidekick made by Danger
Systems (they call it the Hip-hop). T-mobile provides service under a $39
per month all you can drink data plus 200 minutes of cell time.

The Sidekick is a nice package with a good web browser and AOL IM. Display
is better than the Blackberry , not by much. As a cell phone it is next to
useless with no auto-answer, no ability to remotely answer the phone by a
button on the cord and no Bluetooth. I finally got real tired of not using
it as a phone and having to carry two things. Besides I realized more and
more that almost everywhere I go I have WiFi access and all I need normally
is talk and 2 way SMS and occasional web access.

I stopped by Dan Kasal (www.4cellular.com) and looked at the assortment of
phones he has. I ended up getting a Sony-Ericsson P800 unit
(http://www.4cellular.com/search/phone_detail.cfm?id=89). It  is a neat
combination of a good display with Tri-Band 900/1800/1900, MMS Messaging,
GPRS, WAP , T9 Predictive Text Input, SMS Chat, Camera (VGA), full
organizer,etc etc etc.

I ended up converting my Sidekick account to a normal T-mobile account with
their data add-on and have been remarkably satisfied with the coverage , in
the PHL and PIT areas and DC at least.

Neat and so far I am very happy (at least till the next major gadget comes
along).

Dave

Ps +1 412 726 9889