Interesting People mailing list archives

Qualcomm in Iraq (and a San Diego congressman)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:35:04 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Rod Van Meter <rdv () adsl-63-199-185-122 dsl snfc21 pacbell net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:21:55 -0800
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: Qualcomm in Iraq

Dave,

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml does not list
Iraq as currently being a GSM country.  Perhaps cellular infrastructure
was banned by the U.N. as "dual use" technology; I don't know.  Iran,
Syria, Jordan, Israel, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and even Afghanistan are
all GSM countries.

There is, so far as I know, no CDMA-only country in the world.  There
are still pockets where GSM doesn't work (Japan and Latin America are
glaring problems), but by and large, even in countries where multiple
cellular technologies are used, GSM is almost always one of them; 195
countries, more or less, use GSM.

So, by legislative/imperial fiat, we may foist "American" technology
on Iraq after the war, and thereby hobble regional trade and impede
the recovery of Iraq and its reintegration into the world community.

I'm certain this has nothing to do with the fact that Mr. Issa represents
San Diego in Congress.

        --Rod

------ End of Forwarded Message