Interesting People mailing list archives

CNN foolishness

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 07:13:33 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "the terminal of Geoff Goodfellow" <geoff () iconia com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:34:10 +0100
To: "Dave E-mail Pamphleteer Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: CNN foolishness

CNN foolishness

: Kevin Sites, CNN correspondent, has been told to stop blogging. Others
have
decried this and now I'll join the chorus.

I'm a big media executive type -- in a suit, even -- and I have to say that
this is short-sighted on CNN's part.

I have no idea what CNN's problem is. I can imagine a few scenarios -- e.g.,
some editor worries that Sites won't do his work (he's in a warzone; what
else
is he going to do?) or some editor worries that they're not editing what he
writes (if you don't trust him, don't hire him).

Bottom line is that CNN proves it is out-of-date.

MSNBC has weblogs.

FoxNews has weblogs.

My big media company has weblogs. Knight Ridder has weblogs. USA Today has
weblogs. The BBC has weblogs.

But CNN doesn't.

CNN is not only disrespecting Sites, it is disrespecting his audience, and
it
is disrespecting bloggers as a whole -- which is a mistake, since we, fellow
bloggers, are now influencers. Ken Layne says CNN is the old fart network.
We're quoting that. It is a meme that can take over -- unless some wise CNN
executive sees the trouble and slaps some bureaucratic underling on the
wrist
and begs Sites to begin again.

CNN used to be the cutting edge network. It is no more. It needs blogs to
get
back to the future again.

http://www.buzzmachine.com/archives/2003_03.html#CNN

geoff.goodfellow () iconia com * Prague - CZ * telephone +420 603 706 558
"success is getting what you want & happiness is wanting what you get"
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/01/biztech/articles/17drop.html
http://www.tapsns.com/members-bio/geoff-goodfellow.shtml

------ End of Forwarded Message