Interesting People mailing list archives

Ashcroft: Patriot II is a ghost (of xmas future?)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 12:28:31 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Meeks, Brock (MSNBCi)" <Brock.Meeks () MSNBC COM>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:23:30 -0800
To: "'dave () farber net'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Ashcroft: Patriot II is a ghost

Sen. Russ Feingold just a few minutes ago during a hearing this morning on
Homeland Security asked Atty. Gen. Ashcroft why he hadn't come to Congress
to discuss provision of the "Patriot Act II."

Ashcroft replied, categorically, that "there is no Patriot Act II.  That
said, it doesn't mean that we aren't constantly thinking and discussing how
to make things better, safer," Ashcroft said.  "So if there are some
leaks... it's about what we've been thinking," Ashcroft said.

"There has been no bill decided on, no proposal decided on," Ashcroft said.
"It would be the height of absurdity to have a bill I want to make law
without informing Congress first."

Feingold wasn't buying what Ashcroft was saying.  "Well, there is something
out there," Feingold shot back, "and I'd appreciate you coming to Congress
first."

Ashcroft finished off saying that "Until I think we have something
appropriate" to discuss "I don't think we should engage in debate on
something until it's appropriate."

------ End of Forwarded Message