Interesting People mailing list archives

Does File Trading Fund Terrorism?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:51:43 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () cs cmu edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:48:15 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Does File Trading Fund Terrorism?

OK, let's throw some college kid in the slammer for 33 months (where on
earth did that number come from) for stealing a few hundred dollars worth of
DVDs.  But only if we throw the Enron execs and their confederates in
Andersen in the same slammer for proportionally long sentences -- that would
be about 33 billion months, wouldn't it?

Have we lost all sense of proportion?

[ yes we have  -- in more ways than one djf]

Mary Shaw

My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time-
To let the punishment fit the crime