Interesting People mailing list archives

2500 UK Workers Sacked by Text Message

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 04:32:58 -0400

Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 14:38:34 +1000
From: Nathan Cochrane <ncochrane () theage fairfax com au>
Subject: 2500 UK Workers Sacked by Text Message
To: "Dave Farber (E-mail)" <dave () farber net>

Hi Dave

Australians like to believe we lead the world in all things related to
technology, and at least in the bad business department, that seems to be
the case.

The most recent example is the cowardly use of SMS text messages to sack
staff. I have to wonder if the decision by failed UK personal injury claims
litigator, The Accident Group (TAG), to sack its 2500 staff by mobile phone
text message (SMS) was inspired by the February 18 sacking by SMS of
Australian worker, John Eid. If that was the case, then TAG's directors may
have thought that, unlike in the Eid case, no penalty would have to be paid
for their actions.

"Its official, you no longer work for JNI Traffic Control and u have
forfided any arrangements made," read the message sent to Eid by a director
of the company.

Compare that to what TAG staff received in the early hours of the morning
according to reports in the British press: "sorry folks im gutted 4 u good
luck in ur future careers mike", read the SMS from TAG's regional manager.

TAG's collapse comes a year after the implosion of competitor, Claims
Direct, which was attacked for its US chainsaw management style.

http://bilskirnir.blogspot.com/2003_06_01_bilskirnir_archive.html#1054527649
43529061
-
Nathan Cochrane