Interesting People mailing list archives

Quantum Cryptography - up and running in Boston

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:18:26 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Chip Elliott <celliott () bbn com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 16:51:09 -0400
To: dave () farber net, bobr () bobrosenberg phoenix az us
Cc: craig Partridge <craig () aland bbn com>, Chip Elliott <celliott () bbn com>
Subject: Quantum Cryptography - up and running in Boston

Dave, Bob,

Craig Partridge has forwarded me your message on the
BBC's article on quantum cryptography. Indeed, quantum
cryptography is much closer than most IP folks might think!

We've had an Internet protected by quantum cryptography
up and running in our lab since Dec 2002. It's a full Virtual
Private Network (VPN) protected by our own quantum
cryptography apparatus running through dark fiber. This is
a DARPA project, in collaboration with the BU Photonics
Center and Harvard University Applied Physics Dept, and
next steps will be a build-out in metro Boston to link
our campuses.

We'll be announcing our work at SIGCOMM 2003 later
this summer.

Cheers,

-- Chip

Chip Elliott