Interesting People mailing list archives

Independent Radio

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 21:02:30 -0400

Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 16:54:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: Independent Radio
To: dave () farber net

Dave, a couple of days ago, the current FCC dereg battle brought
onto CNN (in a soundbite where he wasn't even identified in any
way -- I recognized him since I met him at his broadcast center a
few years ago) one of the most fascinating characters in
Los Angeles radio, Saul Levine.

Saul is the last independent station owner here in the L.A. area.
He has both an FM and AM outlet (the latter with transmitters on
two different frequencies).  He is famous for frequently altering
the formats of his stations.  Over the years they've done all jazz,
all traffic, all classical, all Beatles, all showtunes, and so on.

Currently his FM station is all classical (and excellent) -- he's a
significant supporter of classical music in L.A. -- and his AM
outlet is all American "standards" tunes (songs from mainly the
40s through early 60s, with very few commercials -- also very
listenable).

He obviously could reap *enormous* profits by selling out to the
big boys.  He refuses.  He says he's a broadcaster and wants to
stay that way -- and he doesn't care about the money.
Apparently that's the truth, too.

He's even running spots now that say (more or less exact words),
"When you support our sponsors, you help support us, the last
independent radio broadcaster in Los Angeles.  We are *not* owned by
Clear Channel Communications or any other conglomerate!"

I know from personal experience the absolutely devastating effect
that the consolidation of recent years has had on the willingness
and ability of station program managers to even consider programming
that doesn't fit the conglomerate's corporate formulas, from either
entertainment or political standpoints.

I hope Saul can hold on.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy