Interesting People mailing list archives

donotcall.gov

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:29:12 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Jean Armour Polly <mom () netmom com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:22:25 -0400
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: donotcall.gov

Dave- when will they start a DO NOT E-MAIL registry??
I registered my home phone and fax successfully (they send a verification
email to you, you have to click on a link to verify) but never got an email
back on the third number I added--my cell phone. Glitch?

Anti-Telemarketing List Opens for Registration

By Andy Sullivan
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Households frazzled by unwanted telephone sales calls
could soon be enjoying the sounds of silence, thanks to a popular
anti-telemarketing list that opens for registration on Friday.
Federal officials said consumers are now able to place their home and mobile
telephone numbers on a free, national "do not call list" of households that
do not want to receive telephone sales calls, by logging on to
(http://donotcall.gov) or calling 1-888-382-1222.
Telemarketers who call numbers on the list after Oct. 1 will face penalties
of up to $11,000 per call, as well as possible lawsuits from consumers and
state attorneys general.
<snip>
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&ncid=578&e=3&u=/nm/20030
627/tc_nm/telecoms_telemarketing_dc
--

Jean Armour Polly
Net-mom's Internet Kids & Family Yellow Pages, 6th ed. (Oct 2001)

------ End of Forwarded Message