Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ICANN - And here's who will be running the Internet for the next 3 years

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:38:21 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Michael Froomkin <froomkin () law miami edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:43:30 +0100
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] ICANN - And here's who will be running the Internet for
the next 3 years

2 comments for IP.

1. I hope Russel Nelson is right about how limited ICANN's powers are.
So far alas he's only almost right -- but ICANN's one foray into
non-technical matters (its creation of de facto international trademark
law in the UDRP) shows how it can leverage its technical power into
social and legal issues.  There are attempts afoot to do something
similar with Whois data, and leverage it into, say, a copyright police
database, although it's quite uncertain these will prevail.  (There also
used to be a danger that government officials would point to ICANN as a
model of public-private governance and clone its mistakes into other
areas.  I think that danger is now pretty small, fortunately.)

2.  As an editor of ICANNWatch.org, I think I'm known as something of an
ICANN critic, but even I think Kieren McCarthy's article that started
this thread was a little too harsh.  (Compare
http://www.icannwatch.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/16/1750242).

I certainly agree that the process by which these new Board members was
picked was needlessly closed, secretive and generally dysfunctional and
not in keeping with the public interest.  I also agree that the majority
of the choices are insiders and business figures that can be trusted to
vote with the crowd that captured ICANN.  That said, I think Kieren
McCarthy's article that started this thread was a little unfair to at
least a minority of the people picked.  I don't know them, but from
their biographies I'd think that Veni Markovski and Njeri Rionge are
likely to care about end-user interests.   [And, of the returned board
members, Ivan Campos has shown some concern about the issues I care
about, although more in private than in any way that might really rock
the boat.]  Of course, I could be wrong about all this, and there may be
other 'good guys' too -- although one consequence of a closed and secret
process is that those of us outside the inner circle really have no idea
what some of these new Board members think about anything related to
ICANN.  And, even if I'm right, the people who brought you the ICANN
you've grown to  love have entrenched and reproduced themselves in a
comfortable majority.

So, the situation is bad.  The majority of the people picked are neither
representative of the public interest nor, based on a first look, seem
predisposed to endorse ICANN's more unfortunate policies. They existing
domiant faction disposed of its internal critics, and replicated and
extended its majority.  Perhaps, though, some of the new Board members
will be more open to dialog than some of their very bunkered
predecessors -- although since they've got the votes, they certainly
don't have to listen if they don't want to.

Dave Farber wrote:

I strongly agree djf