Interesting People mailing list archives

Amiga Forever

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 03:50:07 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Nathan Cochrane <ncochrane () theage fairfax com au>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:57:32 +1000
To: "Dave Farber (E-mail)" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Amiga Forever

Hi Dave

Those zany folks who still crave the return of the venerable Amiga held an
event, Amiga Alpe Adria, last week in Italy.

Amigans are pretty certain following the release of v5.3, and the impending
issue of 6.0, that the world will once again be turning on to bouncing balls
rather than flying windows.

They are a crusty old bunch unwilling to accept that Amiga will never reach
a fraction of its previous popularity. I appluad their single-minded spirit,
however misplaced I think it is. Their missionary zeal has led to a lot of
very cool technology, even if much of it is in the: "What the?..." category.

It's encouraging to see that Windows hasn't been able to crush all
innovation on the desktop, although I think it is at least a decade since
the Bill's baleful gaze has swept across the rainbow coloured tick and seen
any threat to the Microsoft hegemony.

I once worked for Commodore, Amiga's maker, and was heavily involved with
the computer at a variety of levels, including as a developer and video
producer. The platform retains a special place in my heart, all the more so
when my Windows PC at work GPF's, as it does at least three times a day.

MORE:
http://bilskirnir.blogspot.com/2003_07_01_bilskirnir_archive.html#1058149316
89712730

-
Nathan Cochrane
Deputy IT Editor
:Next:
The Age and Sydney Morning Herald
http://www.next.theage.com.au

*****
The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files
is or may be confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or
any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No
part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written
consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail, or telephone and
delete all copies. Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness
of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet
communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal
responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.