Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Digital Shoplifting in Japan -- The tip of the iceberg

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 10:03:38 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Alan A. Reiter" <alan.reiter () verizon net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:27:40 -0400
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Digital Shoplifting in Japan -- The tip of the iceberg

Hi Dave,

Japan to take photos of magazines, I have been evaluating the camera phone
market for years in Asia, then Europe and, recently, the U.S.  This is not
only going to be an enormous worldwide business with multiple opportunities
(hardware, software, services) but it's also going to "evolutionize" the way
we communicate.

A key point is NOT that there are millions of regular digital cameras so
what's the big deal, but that the combination of digital cameras PLUS
wireless changes the equation.  If you carry any device, it will be a phone
first (not a regular camera), so the integration of cameras in cellular
phones means there will be tens of millions (hundreds of millions?) of MORE
cameras on the streets.

The "big deal" is that when you have millions of people carrying camera
phones as a ** routine ** part of their lives -- and who can immediately
transmit moments in time --  social and business dynamics begin to change.
We're just seeing the tip of the iceberg.

People are using camera phones to transmit photos of "suspicious characters"
to the police.  People are sending photos of accidents to the police.
Construction workers are taking photos of construction problems and sending
them to their supervisor to get an opinion about how to proceed.  Sales
people are taking photos of point-of-purchase displays of CDs, DVDs and VHS
tapes of movies to ensure that stores have correctly followed policies about
how and when to promote the latest releases of movies.  Corporations are
banning camera phones because of fears of corporate espionage.  Health clubs
are banning camera phones in locker rooms.

 In Japan, there already are 1.3 megapixel camera phones.  Within 12 months
we might see 3 megapixel camera phones.  No more blurry photos.  (Yes, we
still have to deal with the problem of transmitting large files, but that's
another story!)

Nathan Cochrane is completely correct about publishers missing opportunities
to publicize their contents.  There will be lots of opportunities to
leverage the value and, yes, power, of instant transmission of images.  And,
don't forget that many phones also have video capabilities.

I've written extensively about the dynamics of camera phones, including --
http://reiter.weblogger.com/2003/02/13,
http://reiter.weblogger.com/2003/02/17 and
http://reiter.weblogger.com/2003/01/27.

Camera phones are more than just another wireless fad.  They will be big
business and the produce big changes.

Alan

Alan A. Reiter, president
Wireless Internet & Mobile Computing consulting
E-Mail: reiter () wirelessinternet com
Phone: 1-301-951-0385
Weblog: http://reiter.weblogger.com
Web site: http://www.wirelessinternet.com