Interesting People mailing list archives

"OPEN ACCESS" BATTLE SHEDS LIGHT ON POTENTIAL NEW PRICING MODELS FOR BROADBAND and comment

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:26:37 -0400

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:29:01 -0700
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

"OPEN ACCESS" BATTLE SHEDS LIGHT ON POTENTIAL NEW PRICING MODELS FOR
BROADBAND

During testimony at last week's House hearing on the "Regulatory Status of
Broadband," support for bit-rate pricing for high-speed Internet access came
from an unlikely party to the debate. Amazon.com vice president Paul
Misener, who has led a coalition of Internet content creators such as
Microsoft and Disney to prevent phone and cable networks from "impair[ing]
consumer access to Internet content," said that Amazon supported the right
of ISPs "to charge their customers on the basis of how many bits they
receive or transmit." Misener's Coalition of Broadband Users proposal is
seen as "modest" relative to the "open access" solution advocated by the
Center for Digital Democracy, the ACLU and many other public interest
groups, which would require cable and phone networks to support various
service providers while being prohibited from discriminating against certain
content or applications. At the hearing, representatives for Verizon and the
cable industry opposed any form of open access -- even the coalition's
proposal. Some fear that without safeguards, network owners will have
incentive to block access to certain content, placing limits on free speech.

SOURCE: Center for Digital Democracy
<http://www.democraticmedia.org/news/washingtonwatch/payAsSurf.html>