Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Gerard Van der Leun on traitors, free speech, and Ashcroftitus

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:36:11 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "John S. Quarterman" <jsq () quarterman com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 04:00:20 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "John S. Quarterman" <jsq () quarterman com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Gerard Van der Leun on traitors, free speech, and
Ashcroftitus

Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:15:08 -0700
Subject: Re: FC: Jamie McCarthy on "treason" claims from the right and the
   left
From: Gerard Van der Leun <gvdl () cox net>
To: <declan () well com>

Hence I don't see from what source all the anxiety arises about charges of
treason and suppression of speech as long as it arises from an individual or
an organization with no formal ties to the government.

Should the government actively see to put someone on trial for treason, I
think they would probably need more than Anne Coulter's observations and
assertions. Indeed, the requirements for such a charge are spelled out in
some detail in the Constitution as I recall, but I won't rehearse them here.

The argument seems to be that someone has to have formal ties to the
government
to influence the government.  I wonder how that explains William Randolph
Hearst and the Spanish-American War?  Remember the Maine?

Or Walter Winchell, who was a supporter of Senator McCarthy in the 1950s,
providing leverage through his radio and television shows and columns.
Winchell also carried on longterm correspondence with J. Edgar Hoover
at the FBI:
 http://foia.fbi.gov/winchell.htm

It's not clear to me that having no formal ties to the government
stopped Winchell from having quite a bit of influence inside and outside
the government.

Also, Senator McCarthy didn't use formal charges of treason; he didn't need
to.

Likewise, should the government attempt to formally shut down Politechbot in
response to something transmitted on it, it had better be something akin to
childporn or a secret terrorist message embedded deep within that jpeg of
Phil Zimmermann (very clever that) to avoid a firestorm of protest and the
launching of 30  Habeas Corpus packing ACLU lawyers from their underground
silos in San Francisco.

If copyright violation is alleged, the DMCA requires no
judge, jury, or trial.  And I wonder how habeas corpus
is relevant if nobody is locked up.

John S. Quarterman <jsq () quarterman com>

------ End of Forwarded Message