Interesting People mailing list archives

more Iraq Today

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 08:08:09 -0400

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:50:02 +0200
From: Jose M Guardia <joseg () guardiasociados com>

Dave,

Just for the record, the item was merely republished by FrontPage; it originally appeared on the NY Post http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/774.htm. Of course, whether the Post is completely independent is another matter. In any case, the writer, Amir Taheri, is a pretty reputable source, as fas as I know, and I'm not sure whether his views can be blanket-dismissed just because of the medium publishing them rather than on its own merits.

Fact is, there's more views like that. Just last Saturday, for example, Alfonso Rojo, a Spanish correspondent at El Mundo, a Spanish newspaper fiercely opposed to the war in Iraq, was speaking live on Spanish radio from Baghdad and said that, while there's certainly trouble there, it's quite far from mayhem and chaos as its generally reported. Shops are open, people more or less try to go on with their lives, he even drives his own car there, and this feeling of 'constant general danger to your life' simple doesn't exist, he said.

I also got the same news about a month ago by a Spanish friend, with no official ties to the government who travelled to Iraq for private reasons, accompanying an Iraqi exile, friend of his, who wanted to locate the bodies of his wife and son who he suspected were buried in one of the mass graves. This was some time ago and it can be alleged that things have gone worse since then, but still he was amazed, he told me, by the wide discrepancy in what he had seen in the media before going there and what he found once he arrived.

Just my two cents.

Best

Jose M Guardia
Barcelona, Spain

Dave Farber, gracias por tu mensaje del 22:43 20/07/2003 / Dave Farber, thanks for your message on 22:43 20/07/2003:
I give all sides even ones I disagree with like the original message