Interesting People mailing list archives

President Bush using challenge-response for his email

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 04:51:54 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Mike Masnick <mike () techdirt com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:15:33 -0700
To: declan () well com, dave () farber net
Subject: President Bush using challenge-response for his email

Declan, Dave,

Just read this article:

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/6330165.htm

about how the Whitehouse has now made it more difficult to email the
President.  Since the two of you are interested in both tech and political
issues, I thought you'd be interested in the story just from the angle of
"now the Whitehouse is making it even more difficult to be heard".

However, I think, the more interesting point is one I discuss here:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20030718/018227_F.shtml

President Bush has really started using "challenge-response" technology to
get rid of spam (and to better sort emails).  It works exactly like the
basic challenge response systems: (a) you email the President (b) instead
of getting the email, you receive a reply telling you to go to a webpage
(c) at that webpage, you need to perform certain tasks to prove you are
human (though, the ones on the Whitehouse page are a bit more cumbersome
than most C-R systems).

So, now, the bigger question is whether or not Mailblocks, the company that
claims to own patents on "challenge-response" will sue the Whitehouse?

Mike
Techdirt.com

------ End of Forwarded Message