Interesting People mailing list archives

-- finally an awake hotel!!!!! Wi-Fi - Was Re: Shooting the messenger. Report on layoffs killed

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 19:42:16 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Rodney Joffe <rjoffe () centergate com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 17:16:15 -0700
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Wi-Fi - Was Re: [IP] Shooting the messenger. Report on layoffs
killed

Hello Dave.

Feel free to edit the last line, and use on IP.

Dave Farber wrote:

[ Bye the way, just checked into the Hyatt by SFO and of course those
theives want to charge $1.00 access fee for all outside calls. So I turned
on my Mac and lo!! a WiFI with access outside the hotel I think.

Actually, not!

One of the sites I started a long time ago is Geektools.com. I created
it just as an easy place for the geeks who worked for and with me to
have tools easily findable. Thinks like a proxy that "knew" exactly what
whois server to query for domain name or ip or AS info. And a Geektels
section that listed the few hotels around the US (and the very few
elsewhere in the world that had something better than dial-up access.

The site has grown, and with broadband access in hotels being quite
common, keeping it up to date is tough.

However, if you go to the site, and select
Geektels(http://www.geektools.com/geektels/), you will see that there is
a featured hotel - The SFO Hyatt!

I know it very well. I got to know the GM, Bill Rizutto, quite well. He
is a visionary in his own way. He made the decision to wire the hotel,
and provide it for Guests at NO charge. The Wi-Fi you see is INSIDE the
hotel, and has pretty good coverage. His philosophy being that easy free
access was really a marketing expense, and should not be a hotel
expense. Especially in the aftermath in the Bay area of the Dot Com
failure.

You are probably seeing ssid's like tsunami, and tsunami1 etc. If you're
there for a while, you'll find probably the ONLY Hotel Director of
engineering (the guy that owns all the techies) who is also a Cisco
CCNE!

Enjoy your stay. Will you still be there next week? I'd like to catch up
with you on a couple of items - I'm in on Tuesday and Wednesday - the
office is across the freeway.

Regards,

--
Rodney Joffe