Interesting People mailing list archives

more on RIAA hopes to make ISPs pay for user's P2Pdownloads

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 07:55:56 +0900

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dana Blankenhorn <danablankenhorn () mindspring com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:19:24 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] RIAA hopes to make ISPs pay for user's P2Pdownloads

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=24726&site=lightreading

I post this old story as a reminder that what Hilary Rosen is suggesting is,
technically, impossible.

It's impossible to tell what Internet packets are being used for. In the
link above, Panama tried to stop Voice over IP in order to protect the
monopoly of Cable & Wireless (as well as its own tax revenues).

While VOIP (and peer to peer services) may use specific designated ports
that can be turned off, the software can be quickly configured to use other
ports, including the ports on which e-mail and Web traffic is based.

I don't know if Rosen knows this. I don't know that Rosen cares. But it's
clear that RIAA is becoming increasingly frustrated with what appears to be
an unannounced, unsponsored, unorganized, unsupervised, grassroots yet
surprisingly effective economic boycott of a huge industry, namely musical
recording.

When and if these consumers get a business model they accept, with prices
and conditions they find acceptable, I'm sure 95% will be happy to go back
to buying as much music as before, probably a whole lot more.

That would also boost the tech market, by the way, the telecom market, and
the Internet market. It's in all our interests that the Copyright Wars end,
and that the mutual suicide pact between the copyright industries and their
customers come to an end.

Dana Blankenhorn   dana () a-clue com
Buy The Blankenhorn Effect http://www.trafford.com/robots/02-1082.html
Subscribe to A-Clue.Com  http://www.a-clue.com

"War is unhealthy for economies and other living things."