Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FBI Issues Alert Against Almanac Carriers

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:56:44 -0500

From: "Meeks, Brock (MSNBCi)" <Brock.Meeks () MSNBC COM>

Perhaps the esteemed Mr. Bray has never been on the receiving end of a pissed off backwater local sheriff.

Having spent far too many years of ill-spent youth myself, I'm well acquainted with the capricious nature of redneck cops. And yes, I know that's pejorative. Sue me.

I've had cops haul me in for a broken tail light just because they could. I'd like to give the FBI the benefit of a doubt; I'd like think there is still a modicum of professionalism still woven into the agency's culture.

The fact is, and the "danger" has always been, that as this Congress and administration lead the charge to treat the constitution and the rights it sets forth as merely a rough draft it's not the FBI or Justice Department the citizenry has to worry about. Instead it's the local and state authorities, who often operate without much oversight, whom I believe pose the greatest risk.

These state and local authorities are empowered right along with the federal agencies to wield these new investigative powers and they often do it with all the subtlety of a Rodger Clemens fastball.